The Police Report
Below is the main text of Officer Reed's report. See the full police report here.
On 09/28/2009 at approximately 19:30pm while traveling north on Rt5 in the area of East Elm St traffic was was traveling at about 10mph in the travel lane this is a 40mph zone. I also heard several vehicles blowing their horns and swerving into the passing lane. The vehicle in front of me moved over into the passing lane at this time I observed a bicyclist traveling in the travel lane of Rt5. I activated my emergency lights and turn the siren on then off, the bicyclist at this time waved for me to go around him.Below is a list of problems with Joseph Reed's report.
I again gave the siren a short burst again at this time the bicyclist pulled over to the shoulder of the road. The bicyclist was identified as Eli Damon(06/07/1977) he was advised that he could not ride in the travel lane of Rt 5 that he could be struck by a vehicle and that he was causing a hazard. He advised me that he has every right to ride in the road. I again told him that it was to dangerous to ride in the middle of Rt 5. At this time he stepped into the travel lane of Rt5 stating and pointing to the center white line stating that is the middle of the road, I was riding here pointing to the travel lane of Rt 5. Several vehicles had swerve from the travel lane into the passing lane to avoid hitting him.
I again told Eli Damon to stay out of the road he again stated that he could ride in the road. I again told him to stay out of the road. Several vehicles where slowing down to see what Eli Damon was doing which was causing traffic to start backing up. At this time he was placed under arrest for disorderly conduct and transported back to the station where he was booked and afforded all rights.
- He describes me as skinny, fair-skinned, and black-haired. Most people would disagree with this description. He got my eye color right but he had to ask me to find that out.
- Note the atrocious grammar.
- "I also heard several vehicles blowing their horns and swerving into the passing lane." So he observed other drivers behaving in an erratic and threatening manner yet he decided to ignore them and pursue me.
- "...[H]e could be struck by a vehicle. ..[I]t was dangerous to ride in the middle of Rt 5." So what did he, as a police officer, do to protect me from this danger? Less than nothing. Also, note the expression "the middle of Rt 5". It would certainly be dangerous to ride in the middle of Route 5 since it contains a guardrail. Also, I maintain that it was not especially dangerous and, in fact, necessary for safety.
- "...[H]e stepped into the travel lane..." This is impossible, considering that a large, angry police officer and a bicycle were in between me and the travel lane.
- "Several vehicles were slowing down to see what Eli Damon was doing which was causing traffic to start backing up." Traffic was flowing freely both before I was stopped and while I was being detained at the side of the road. Furthermore, anyone who slowed down while I was being detained was certainly attracted by the presence of the police officers and their cars (with their flashers activated) rather than by my behavior.
- In retrospect, I believe I was traveling at at least fifteen miles per hour, contrary to his estimate of ten miles per hour.
- He also left out the part where he put his face right in front of mine and yelled insults at me for a minute or two.